[erlang-questions] Version of C compiler for Erlang on Windows

Dave Cottlehuber dave@REDACTED
Tue Jun 21 01:13:05 CEST 2011

On 21 June 2011 09:19, Andrew Thompson <andrew@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:30:36AM -0400, Francis Joanis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is Visual Studio 2005 still the preferred version of the Microsoft
>> compiler for Erlang on Windows and is it still used for the
>> pre-compiled binaries?
>>
>> I think some work had been done to support VS 2008 and I don't know
>> about VS 2010.
>
> I submitted some patches to make it build with VS2008, and they were
> accepted. No idea about 2010.
>
> Andrew

90% of the hassle is getting the compiler/linker/manifest paths sorted
out; these vary for every combo of VS IDE/SDK out there.

VS 2008 Express compiles fine since R13B so long as you install the
Windows SDK v7.0 as well. At the time wxWidgets didn't compile using
VS2010 express so I stayed with VS2008.

I use the following script / notes to set up a CouchDB build chain for
VS2008 https://github.com/dch/glazier the README is still out of date
vs scripts while I clean up some changes needed for CouchDB but the
erlang stuff should be pretty stable. The patches & notes for doing
this are now all included in the Erlang release so if it doesn't line
up please let me know & I'll work through fixing them. Finally, I now
compile OpenSSL from source
https://github.com/dch/glazier/blob/master/bin/build_openssl.cmd
&  wxWidgets via
https://github.com/dch/glazier/blob/master/bin/build_wx.cmd after
applying patch equivalent to the manual steps in the README.

IIRC wxWidgets wasn't able to be built with VS2010 last time I
checked; but there appears to be a workaround now since
http://trac.wxwidgets.org/changeset/66836/
 ref http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B_Guide#Visual_Studio_C.2B.2B_2010
please post back how you get on with this.

A+
Dave