[erlang-questions] Status of Windows platform support in Erlang/OTP

Amy Lear octopusfluff@REDACTED
Mon Jun 20 00:53:50 CEST 2011

I set aside my fun with clock granularity once I knew what the problem
and (hypothetical) solution are, since instrumentation was only a
hypothetical concern for me.

While taking a break from some other tasks, I started looking into
what it would take to actually implement things like windows-specific
high granularity clocks, and tripped across some interesting items.

Right now, what I see seems to be the following:

Erlang itself is not able to be fully compiled on Windows using open
source tools; it requires VC++ as a command line compiler for much of
it.
Erlang doesn't seem to support 64-bit under Windows.
HiPE is not compiled into the official Windows binaries.

Research indicates that at one point in time, Erlang could be compiled
using MinGW. If I understand correctly, things went somewhat awry
around the time SMP support was added. The 64-bit problem seems to be
a long =/= void sizing issue, and I wasn't able t find anything on
HiPE.

My questions are as follows:

Has anything happened since then as far as efforts to be able to fully
compile Erlang using mingw? The mingw/msys environment does provide a
working shell and the ability to run configure scripts, etc, without
bringing the whole cygwin cavalcade to the party.
Has any effort gone into the cleanup necessary for being able to
produce a 64-bit Erlang for Windows? The implication from what I found
suggested it's mostly rote work that the core team doesn't have time
to do.
What exactly is the status of HiPE on the Windows platform?

If work yet remains on these, is there a good starting point on how we
might be able to push forward on these items?