[erlang-questions] BEAM backward compatibility

Daniel Dormont dan@REDACTED
Sun Jun 19 06:23:23 CEST 2011

Since I work mostly in Java, when I started learning Erlang I recognized
.beam files as being  at least somewhat like .class files and assumed they
would be backward compatible - that is, beams compiled in R12 would run in
R13 and R14 and there shouldn't be any problems unless I were calling
experimental APIs or deprecated APIs that were later removed. But a
discussion on the ejabberd mailing list suggested that this might not be the
case. I didn't see anything offhand in the official documentation. What's
the word on this?

thanks,
Dan