[erlang-questions] problem setting up multi-node comm on Windows 7

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Sat Jun 18 21:26:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:55, Icarus Alive <icarus.alive@REDACTED> wrote:

> What I would like to do is to set up communication between these 2
> instances --
>
> C:> erl -name abc@REDACTED -setcookie erlide
> C:> erl -name xyz@REDACTED -setcookie erlide
>
> however, when I try --
>
> (abc@REDACTED)6>
> net_adm:ping('xyz@REDACTED').
> pang
> (abc@REDACTED)7> nodes().
> []
>
> I can successfully do this:-
> C:> ping -4 FELIX.somedomainsomewhere.com
> C:> tracert FELIX.somedomainsomewhere.com
> which shows that the domain-name resolves fine.
>
> Instead of "-name" if I do the same experiment with "-sname" and drop
> the usage of host.FQDN, the result is same, i.e. a "pang" !
>
> How do I get it to ping successfully ?

I checked on my machine and I got the same problem between two Erlang nodes.
The Java node connects fine because it doesn't care about a long name being
a FQDN or not.

In my case, the problem was that I have the Home edition and I'm not
connected to any domain. I fixed it by editing
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and adding an entry like
192.168.1.2 mypc mypc.localdomain

This lets me connect Erlang nodes that use mypc.localdomain as -name.

My guess is that it is something similar in your case, please check this
file and see what it contains.

regards,
Vlad