[erlang-questions] A PropEr announcement

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Fri Jun 17 15:23:56 CEST 2011

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 20:43:51 +1000, James Churchman
<jameschurchman@REDACTED> wrote:

> making something with a similar-ish api to something else is not reverse
> engineering. its a rewrite from scratch.

I didn't say that it was, and neither did Ulf.

Ulf just raised a hypothetical chain of events which may be interpreted by
_some_ people reading _some_ statutes as reverse engineering.

In said hypothetical legal dispute -- what *you* and *I* think is reverse
engineering doesn't matter. What matters would be the aggrieved parties
argument for interpretation of the statute, and any precedents supporting
such an interpretation, but most importantly, their evidence for the facts
and chain of events that lead up to the dispute, and ultimately how well
both sides can convince the court in session. In such a dispute, the
defendant/respondent may well present the the points you raise as part of
their side of the case.

My point was in regards to whom would be liable to whom in such a dispute.

- Edmond -