[erlang-questions] A PropEr announcement

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Thu Jun 16 10:23:04 CEST 2011

On 16 Jun 2011, at 10:01, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 08:43, Ulf Wiger <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> On 16 Jun 2011, at 08:30, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This kind of issues are worse than flame wars! :-)
>>
>> I have yet another point of view that increases the confusion: PropEr is mostly compatible with Triq and QuickCheck (there's a free older version).
>
> Well, there is a version available in jungerl, but to my knowledge, it was not put there by the authors, and not actually intended to be free. Even so, one might consider it a lot less sensitive to copy that version than the later, proprietary, versions of QuickCheck.
>
> Quviq released an official mini-version last year.
>
> http://www.quviq.com/news100621.html

Yes, but the QuickCheck Mini license agreement, while permitting free use and re-distribution, specifically forbids reverse-engineering. Thus, we should hope that the PropEr developers did not obtain a copy of QuickCheck Mini and ran it in order to learn how it worked, as this would put them in violation of the EU Directives regarding software copyright.

For those who are inspired by PropEr, but are put off by the GPL, using and re-distributing QuickCheck Mini is of course unproblematic. ;-)

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.
http://erlang-solutions.com