[erlang-questions] A PropEr announcement

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Wed Jun 15 09:52:33 CEST 2011

I am afraid that the GPLv3 is contaminating in this case - I have spent some
time reading the license and how to interpret it and I also asked around, so
I do not think you can ship PropEr test code with your product without
becoming GPLv3. At least I personally would not run that risk.

Note that if you are using PropEr internally and you are not shipping the
test source or beams you are free to use PropEr to test your code. But if
you ship then your code becomes GPLv3 (as I read the thing).

However, as Eric mentioned earlier, the PropEr team is looking into adding a
FOSS License Exception and now that the big v1.0 is behind them they
hopefully get the time need to investigate this and see if it is possible to
do.

The PropEr team has been very approachable about this issue so I think we
should just wait for them to find the time it takes to get this done right.

With a FOSS License Exception there will be no issues and it will open the
doors for PropEr to prosper for Open Source Erlang projects.

If you want to work with PropEr and receive some guidance from a
semi-veteran (me) you can join us on the Erlware team where we are working
on property based tests for the erlware-commons and gradually adding them
where it makes sense.

Cheers,
Torben

http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann