[erlang-questions] Documentation Format Changes (erldocs)

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Sun Jun 12 15:45:48 CEST 2011

I have no idea personally, only a guess but ;

All this type information in the xml files is duplicate now... the specs contain not only the function signature but also the types of the inputs.

Specs are relatively recent addition, so the original creation of the xml documentation files probably predate the addition of specs to erlang. It might be that ErlDocs.com is incapable of parsing the specs out of the source and turning that into the documentation type information.

The official erlang site appears to have it correct http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/lists.html#keymerge-3

So probably there is an effort to remove duplicate data from documentation xml files, reducing double updates along with the fact that the xml docs are just data, i don't believe they are machine checked for accuracy..

One other thing tho, why is the separate xml file preferred instead of the edoc inline notation, just to keep the two things separate and keep the code more readable?

Anyhow thats my guess!

James