[erlang-questions] Passing binary strings to c port

Dave Challis dsc@REDACTED
Mon Jun 6 17:10:09 CEST 2011

I've got an erlang program which uses binary strings (e.g. <<"abc">>),
and a c port with some functions which operate on char arrays.

Is it safe to pass this binary string directly to c (using
ei_decode_binary) for use in char arrays?

Or should I always use binary_to_list(<<"abc">>) before passing it to c,
then decode using ei_decode_string?

My main worry is whether binary strings in erlang could contain the null
character somewhere (e.g. passing <<"abc\0def">> to c port and decoding
as a binary results in c seeing the string "abc").

Thanks,

--
Dave Challis
dsc@REDACTED