[erlang-questions] Understanding supervisor / start_link behaviour

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Fri Jun 3 11:21:53 CEST 2011

True. This is a very valid point.

Personally I have very rarely used the live upgrade tools of a node
(relup/appup/release_handler etc) so I don't really know the bad side
of not putting everything under a supervision tree. But then again I
simply don't think the fuzz of specifying every single thing to
reload/change is worth the "uptime" mark.

The strategy I prefer is to have an architecture which enables me to;
take down a node gracefully (detaching itself from the cluster),
manually install a release (I.e. untar the release and changing
start_erl.data to point to it), and start up the node again. This
should not affect the system which should still be operational (say
you have 10 nodes and you do this upgrade one by one). Should the new
release not work or something unexpected turns up then just change the
start_erl.data file to point to the old release and bounce the node
(your version handling on your applications should support this
meaning v1.32.424 in this release has *exactly* the same code as
v1.32.424 in the previous release).

This way of working has been proven very successful to me (and the
systems I took part in building). Specifying relups and appups for
this kind of work is, in my opinion, tedious but some seem to think it
is worth the effort. However you do have a very important point to
consider when not hanging everything under a supervisor tree. If I had
only 2 nodes to consider maybe I'd want them up at all time but then
again they would be built in a way to handle if one goes down (E.g.
when I upgrade them).