[erlang-questions] Losing data

Bob Cowdery bob@REDACTED
Fri Jun 3 10:05:40 CEST 2011

On 03/06/2011 01:08, Edmond Begumisa wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 05:09:40 +1000, Bob Cowdery
> <bob@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone give me some hints on how to debug this problem. I know its a
>> long-shot but maybe someone has experience of a similar problem.
>>
>> I have a real-time system that reads from a device using UDP and writes
>> back to the same device using UDP. The data processing chain comprises 6
>> processes:
>>
>> Reader - Decoder - Input to linked-in-driver - output from
>> linked-in-driver - Encoder - Writer
>>

> Wondering: is there any particular reason why the reader and decoder
> are separate processes, and the encoder plus writer are also separate
> processes?
My initial though was the reader and writer are pretty simple processes
and if there was a throughput problem I wanted it to show up as a
message queue building and not as dropped packets. I think its structure
over efficiency at the moment.

> If the reader+decoder were one single process (reader module calling
> decoder module) and the encoder+writer another single process, you
> could reduce the amount of message-passing and get better performance.
> Probably won't solve your immediate problem since you're not
> witnessing message-bottlenecks (yet) but worth looking into.
If I can solve this problem then it will get pushed much harder as I
ramp up the sample rate and I might then hit a wall and I will have to
optimise.