[erlang-questions] Understanding supervisor / start_link behaviour

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Thu Jun 2 11:53:02 CEST 2011

Steve,

I wouldn't say that you are wrong. I think that you are reasoning good
about not putting the gen_event module under a supervisor because
*that is what links are for*. Just because you have a supervisor
doesn't mean the you shove everything underneath there! If the
gen_server and the gen_event are truly linked (meaning: gen_server
doesn't act as a "supervisor" keeping track of its gen_event process
and restarts it all the time but rather that they really are linked
and they crash together) then your approach, in my opinion, is good.

There are great benefits in doing it in that way. Many will claim that
it is best practice to put *everything* under a supervisor but this is
simply not true. 90% of cases it *is* the best thing to do and many
times it is more about how you designed your application rather than
where to put the supervisors and their children but doing it the way
you did is not necessarily wrong.

The only problem I see with your approach is that you have registered
the gen_event process which clearly isn't useful (since only the
gen_server should know about it, after all, it started it). Other than
that, this approach is extremely helpful and a nice way to clean up
things after they die/shutdown (Again: assuming truly linked).

There is a big misconception in the community that everything
should/must look like the supervisor-tree model which shows how
gen_servers are put under supervisors and more supervisors under the
"top" supervisor but that is not enforced and the design principles
doesn't take many cases into account where this setup actually brings
more headache to the table than to just exit and clean up using linked
processes (because they do exist).

/M