[erlang-questions] trouble with erlang or erlang is a ghetto

Wed Jul 27 00:14:42 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 22:51, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:
>
>> Add a flag to erlang:trace/3 such that we can trace a function based upon a
>> sampling value. For instance, that 1/8192 messages on average is
>> traced. Together with call/return we now know how much time was spent
>> in that function as a whole.
>
> There may be message passing along the request path, processes talking to one another.
>
> You want to capture and time this interaction.

Ah yes, that is something I completely missed. Indeed you want to
trace along messages also, but that makes it less obvious what to do.
I am more for capturing such instrumentation information on a random
sampling basis. You could do it manually though by inserting
instrumentation functions along the path and then use those functions
as hooks for a unique tag. That is probably what I'd do today if I
needed this. Then I'd trace the instrumentation functions at random
intervals.

--
J.