[erlang-questions] trouble with erlang or erlang is a ghetto

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Tue Jul 26 22:51:06 CEST 2011

On Jul 26, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen wrote:

> Add a flag to erlang:trace/3 such that we can trace a function based upon a
> sampling value. For instance, that 1/8192 messages on average is
> traced. Together with call/return we now know how much time was spent
> in that function as a whole.

There may be message passing along the request path, processes talking to one another.

You want to capture and time this interaction.

You can do all this by capturing and processing gigabytes of trace messages, figuring out where the request starts and ends and taking it from there.

- for hire: mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and usb drivers
http://wagerlabs.com | @wagerlabs | http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont