[erlang-questions] [ANN] Lager - a new logging framework for Erlang/OTP

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Fri Jul 22 04:49:25 CEST 2011

On 22 July 2011 02:41, Andrew Thompson <andrew@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:52:11PM +0100, Tim Watson wrote:
>> I'll take a closer look - sounds interesting. What put me off
>> originally is that there is a heck of a lot of code there, which tends
>> to mean there's a lot going on whereas I wanted minimal impact and
>> control over blocking the client (or better, making the work in the
>> client) or not. Fastlog is only 665 lines of code, as it does very
>> little work to get from the call site to the underlying logging module
>> (error_logger by default).
>
> Unfortunately, error_logger has a lot of flaws, which is why lager has
> so much code to replace error_logger in it.
>
> Andrew

You're not the first person to mention this, so clearly there are
compelling reasons to do so. My motivation for sticking with
error_logger was that it has been battle tested for a very long time,
and is therefore reliable. Clearly there are times when it doesn't do
what you want (hence the appearance of riak_err and other
customisations) so a replacement is a good idea. If Lager is going to
be what riak uses for its error logging, I suspect that'll persuade a
lot of people that it's a worthwhile alternative.

My primary motivation for building fastlog was to get control over the
logging levels (at runtime), which is does fine for now. I will be
keeping an eye on Lager though - as it does sound very capable. Good
luck with it!