[erlang-questions] [ANN] Lager - a new logging framework for Erlang/OTP

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Thu Jul 21 23:52:11 CEST 2011

On 21 July 2011 21:54, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:
>> temporary period. Filtering out certainly logging levels at compile
>> time is quite easy - tuning to get good performance at runtime without
>> sacrificing flexibility is harder. Besides, log4erl also supports
>> changing log levels on the appenders at runtime, so it is also doing
>> some work at runtime.
>
> log4erl compiles filtering module in runtime. It really works.

I'll take a closer look - sounds interesting. What put me off
originally is that there is a heck of a lot of code there, which tends
to mean there's a lot going on whereas I wanted minimal impact and
control over blocking the client (or better, making the work in the
client) or not. Fastlog is only 665 lines of code, as it does very
little work to get from the call site to the underlying logging module
(error_logger by default).