[erlang-questions] Best Practices: Localization of Erlang Applications. Also, Error Messages!

Alex Arnon alex.arnon@REDACTED
Wed Jul 13 21:19:35 CEST 2011

Hi All,

We're building a nontrivial Erlang application, which will provide a
potentially high-volume, public RESTful Web Service. As part of the API, we
will be providing both informative text (status, labels, layout templates)
and error messages. A twofold question, then, to the experienced
Grandmasters in the audience:
1. How have you implemented localization of text? This includes
parameterized format strings.
2. Has anyone used composite error values? For example, instead of {error,
badarg}, use {error, {badarg, [{arg, ArgumentName}, {message,
LocalizedMessageId}, {message_args, [...]}... Should we steer clear of
these, and if so, what alternative would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!