[erlang-questions] Erlang web servers challenge

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Jul 11 07:49:58 CEST 2011

On 11/07/2011, at 5:43 PM, Josh Johnston wrote:

> Sad truth in my experience is that this isn't limited to students, as you'll see most clearly when you try to hire for a junior position :P  There seems to be a lot of people going under the title of programmer who are actually "IDE users" or "framework configurers" or "API implementers", and when you ask them to do some actual programming you can see how lost they are in it.

Someone from another country applied to do a research degree here.
The CV listed "C, C++, Java" under "skills".
I wrote back asking "tell me about the last C program you wrote.
What did you think you did well?  What would you do differently
next time?" and the response was
 "well, I only did a course on it, but I'm a fast learner, so
  I'm sure I'll be expert after a couple of weeks."

I'm going to use that question again (:-).

(My suspicions about this student's Java skills were raised
 by a claim to have used 'mavan' a lot...)