[erlang-questions] Erlang Web Servers challenge

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Wed Jul 6 14:18:41 CEST 2011

Most of the web server benchmarks I've come across on the web suffer
from the same flaw: a partisan of server X tests a highly tuned and
optimised install of their favourite server against default installs of
competitor servers.  These kinds of benchmarks are really not worth
anything.

I think it's a good idea to set a challenge, and invite server
developers to show how their own project can meet the challenge.

The first step is to devise a challenge, and this is not a trivial step.
  This step is actually listing the essential functional requirements of
a web server.  The ability to serve a static file promptly from disk is
one requirement, but these days I shouldn't think it's the only or even
the main one.

I think it might be interesting to agree on a small set of requirements
and then devise a challenge which could test those requirements.

Best wishes

Ivan

On 06/07/2011 12:59, Zabrane Mickael wrote:

>> Why is nginx outside of the challenge scope?
>
> Nginx or anything else are out of scope[1] at this time.
> This will not prevent you to write a simple cache in (pure) Erlang for
> the challenge.
>
>> If you want "to compare Erlang Web servers with other competitors (not
>> written in Erlang)", surely nginx is one of the main competitors?
>
> Yes, but Nginx is written in C.
>
> [1] I'm planning to ask the authors of the other tools (like Cherokee,
> Apache2, Lighttpd + Nginx, Varnish, ...)
> and let them know about the challenge (with the same rules of course).

Ivan A. Uemlianin

                     ivan@REDACTED
                      www.llaisdy.com
                          llaisdy.wordpress.com
                      www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

     "Froh, froh! Wie seine Sonnen, seine Sonnen fliegen"
                      (Schiller, Beethoven)