[erlang-questions] Erlang Web Servers challenge

Zabrane Mickael zabrane3@REDACTED
Mon Jul 4 20:24:03 CEST 2011

>>> Also yaws should be faster considering it supports sendfile whereas the
>>> others don't without much additional work beforehand. So regardless of
>>> the server being used you'd probably just be benchmarking sendfile and
>>> not the servers.
>>
>> Don't suppose anything (sendfile) before benchmarking it Loïc.
>
> I don't suppose anything. Kernel cache is faster than userland cache.

I don't think so. I'm using "sendfile" (extracted from yaws) https://github.com/tuncer/sendfile/commits/master/
(thanks to Steve and Tuncer) in our production app server for while now.
Except a noticed decrease in CPU usage, it didn't make huge difference compared to "gen_tcp:send" in term of speed.
But again, that's not fair because our app server is very special.

I really hope you can fine tune Cowboy (if possible) and let us know how fast can it serve a 100 bytes file in less than a second.
Thanks Loïc!

N.B:  for the other web servers authors, please take 10mn for the challenge!