[erlang-questions] How to write a generic IRC client the OTP way?

Ale peralta.alejandro@REDACTED
Sun Jul 3 05:55:15 CEST 2011

Hello Jon,

Thanks for your answer, sorry for the delay.

> Also, for synchronous calls (where you want the status), waiting the
> necessary amount of time is pretty much what you expect to do. You *can*
> make arrangements to use cast, and pass in a respond-to-PID parameter as
> part of the request, but in most cases, that adds significant extra
> complexity for very little benefit.

I think one of the problems I'm having is that I'm confusing
synchronous calls of erlang processes and the actual process of the
interpreter.

I was wondering if I make a synchronous call from a wx process to a
gen_server process (using gen_server:call for example) if the whole wx
application would block. For example, would I be able to click a
button mean while the call completes?

I suppose that depends on the application, wouldn't it? I mean if I
spawn another process to call gen_server the wx wouldn't block.

> Note that gen_server:call also takes a timeout parameter -- it defaults to
> 5,000 milliseconds, so if the gen_server is "wedged" then the timeout will
> kick in.

I'll see into it.

Thanks again for your answer,
--