[erlang-questions] Erlang and the learning curve

黃耀賢 (Yau-Hsien Huang) g9414002.pccu.edu.tw@REDACTED
Tue Jan 4 03:06:32 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM, JETkoten <jetkoten@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been reading/watching everything I can find (off and online) for
> learning Erlang for the past two or three weeks, but am just not getting it,
> in terms of being able to do anything with Erlang in the real world.
>
> I've watched some videos about functional programming where the hosts joked
> about people looking into functional programming deciding it's too hard and
> then never touching it again... but seriously, how do people bridge the gap
> between understanding the basics and implementing real world projects with
> Erlang? I know the three major books are available, but none of them are
> really using Erlang for what I'd like to do...
>
> Joe's book showed how to write instant messaging clients, but you think
it not so real?

> How have any of you who have come to know big-picture how great Erlang is
> been able to get enough knowledge of it to actually do what you'd like to
> do?
>
> Any and all replies are most welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

I think most of us treat it so serious that "if it is very easy, it ought to
be now that we
have many such and such applications make by Erlang." But you won't take it
so
seriously when you learn to write a segment of C code. Good applications
always go
from simple examples.

--

Best Regards.