[erlang-questions] crypto NIF vs OpenSSL problems

Sverker Eriksson sverker@REDACTED
Mon Feb 28 18:24:35 CET 2011

Per Hedeland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pre-R14, if libcrypto was missing / wrong version,
> application:start(crypto) would return a nice error (well, at least an
> error). crypto:start() would return the same error.
>
> With the same scenario in R14, application:start(crypto) succeeds(!),
> and crypto:start() crashes with undef. I understand completely why on
> both counts, but, um... - is this intentional? Or a bug (or two) that
> will be fixed
Maybe you could say that application:start(crypto) succeeding is a bug
and it should fail with nice error as before.

I don't think I want to revert the behavior of crypto:start() as that is
"clearly undocumented" and undef is what you get when trying to call a
function in module that can not be loaded.

/Sverker