[erlang-questions] Caching server

Nicholas Wieland ngw@REDACTED
Tue Feb 22 16:59:51 CET 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Eric Merritt wrote:

> Nicholas,
>
> The example in the book isn't production capable, and was designed for
> teaching more then to be production. However, this approach should be
> fine in Erlang. Erlang can handle extremely large numbers of processes
> on commodity hardware. The big caveat to this is you need to figure
> out what the number of processes that can live on the hardware you are
> going to be using, then come up with a distribution mechanism if that
> number is exceeded. Fortunately in erlang this isn't a big deal. This
> number is probably very high, at the very least in the hundreds of
> thousands and maybe into the millions depending on your hardware. As
> always, the key is doing some testing and figuring out what your
> limits are.

Thanks everyone for the answers.
My question wasn't really about the example, but about the architecture itself, I wanted to know if that was a "possible" production architecture, and I think you all clarified my doubts.

Thank you very much,
 ngw

--
Nicholas Wieland
ngw@REDACTED

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned. – Bruce Ediger