[erlang-questions] erlog in anger

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Thu Feb 17 15:37:24 CET 2011

Hi Andrew,

As far as I know no one has used erlog in anger, either open source or not. If anyone has used it they have not said anything.

The only code I have are the examples and a few extra tests I have run. You should be able to run most standard Prolog code as long it does not do prolog i/o.

My idea for using it is that you define your goals as erlang terms, the mapping is pretty straightforward, run your goal and get back a solution as a set of variable-bindings. Then you can decide if you like this solution, if not continue and get the next solution, etc. When you have good solution you just throw away the whole computation (it is just a data structure).

It is just an interpreter but reasonably efficiently implemented. It works better if you use a failure driven style of evaluation as this cleans up unused variables better. There are no known bugs.

I would like to continue work on it but need some proper input from people who actually use it.

Take the last commit on the master branch from github, https://github.com/rvirding/erlog, as the version on trapexit.org is old and will not compile on R14.

Robert