[erlang-questions] How do you do TDD in vim?

Fredrik Andersson sedrik@REDACTED
Thu Feb 17 10:37:21 CET 2011

I never intended to make my repo editor dependent, why would anyone ever do
that?

My goal is to improve my workflow and integrating testing into vim and not
vim into the repository.

Anyway I wrote this small vimscript, it's probably full of bugs and other
horrible beings of unatural size but it works for me as of now. The plan is
to seperate it into a single vim script file and release it as a seperate
repository on github.

Feel free to comment/improve/use or contribute to this.

===

" ErlTDD.vim - Fredrik Andersson
" Small script to enable TDD from inside of vim
" Currently only works with environments witch will build all test using make
" test (for example raven).
"
" Invoke with :TDD

"Erlang TDD function
" TODO: Make more general, fit to other languages and test suits
" TODO: Make a separate scripts file for the tests
" TODO: run dialyzer on source code
" TODO: do Test for all open files that are src or test files
command! -complete=file TDD call s:Test()

"TODO: run in background and put output in quickfix window

"autocmd BufWritePost *.erl call s:Test()

function! s:Test()
    let testpath = "-pa test -pa test_hrl"
    let ebinpath = "-pa ebin"
    let libpath = "-pa ../meck/ebin"

    let theFile = expand('%:t:r')
    if matchstr(theFile, "test_") == "test_"
        let testfile = theFile

    else
        let testfile = "test_" . theFile
    endif

    let paths = testpath . " " . ebinpath . " " . libpath
    let eunit = "eunit:test(" . testfile . ", [verbose])"
    let erlcmd = "-eval 'error_logger:tty(false), " . eunit . ", halt()'"
    let cmd = "!make; make test; erl " . paths .  " " . erlcmd
    execute cmd
    "cexpr system(cmd)
    "echo cmd
endfunction