[erlang-questions] TCP flow control problem

Kaiduan Xie kaiduanx@REDACTED
Thu Feb 10 19:43:22 CET 2011

Nav,

I have been working on a server with TCP/TLS/UDP support for a while,
the following is my experience,

1. For TCP/TLS, spawns one gen_fsm for a connection, and sets the
socket as {active, once} first, and then handles incoming packet in
handle_info(), parses the packet in the gen_fsm (this is the place
where gen_fsm comes into play, state machine is very handy to parse
message because TCP/TLS is stream based), after reading a packet from
network, sets the socket as {active, once} again.

2. You can accept TCP/TLS connections from multiple processes, this
will improve your server's connection acceptance speed.

3. If your TCP/TLS connection is long-live, and idle most of the time,
hibernates the gen_fsm to save memory.

Cheers,

/Kaiduan