[erlang-questions] gen_server clustering strategy

James Churchman jameschurchman@REDACTED
Wed Feb 2 16:37:36 CET 2011

all great questions, most of which i don't know the answers to, but queuing systems can help if a bit of extra latency is ok, and more so if the order does not have to be exact

i think at very large scale hashing becomes the only answer, and handling failed nodes becomes tricky, but a basic distributed mnesia table that contains the number of alive nodes and maybe reports on their repeated failures, and then hashes the input (on userid in your case) to the correct node would get you half way there.

Also i don't think that 100,000 processes that peak at 300kb is a problem for erlang. Thats only 30GB max. If its stored as binaries, and possibly after a really large message you invoke the garbage collector for that process ( i have no idea if this is a bad idea or not, but can be done easily and should reduce memory consumption) then a single box should be able to handle your needs easily, and 3 no probs at all. My mac pro should be ok :-)

i think dedicated hardware is always better than virtualised

As for 1000 messages at 300kb, that seems like quite a lot, bordering on what standard gigabit ethernet can handle,  but just benchmark erlang, again one box might be enough... you can get a 32 core amd server for not much these days. Are these requirements realistic tho, or just "if 10 million people use my service on day one that i have put together on a shoe string etc... wishful thinking"