SSL number of connections

Ferenc Holzhauser ferenc.holzhauser@REDACTED
Tue Feb 1 17:55:31 CET 2011

Hi,

I'd like to use a lot (I was aiming at 20-30k) of active SSL connections
from an Erlang app.
I expected it to be no problem (assuming I have done all OS limit/kernel and
Erlang max port settings correctly).

I've come across 2 things though that have ruined my expectations.

1.
Apparently ssl_esock opens a pair of local TCP connections to itself
(according to lsof) on port 53813 for each SSL connection I open from the
app.
I intended to use multiple source/destination addresses to get around the
TCP source port limitation and have more sessions. That trick won't work
then.

I must confess I don't know the purpose of this local connection but I'd
really like to get rid of it if possible, is it?

2.
There seems to be only 1 ssl_esock process running on the machine eventually
eating up one CPU core (and not more) way before I'd reach any reasonable
number of connections or the beam process would become very busy.
It doesn't look very scalable. I have enough CPU power left and I'd really
want to convince SSL to use it.

Am I overlooking something? Is it really not possible to have more ssl_esock
processes using more cores?

I'm running R13B03 but I haven't found anything in R14 either addressing
these issues.

Thank you for your help in advance,
Ferenc