[erlang-questions] Best practices in gen_fsm usage

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Wed Dec 7 23:26:26 CET 2011

Adding to the SDL wagon: I have had to implement the Q.SIG standard and
with a little thought it is possible to get Erlang code that is almost
1:1 with the SDL diagrams - there is a little example in the EUC 2010
presentation by Raghav Karol and me where we have one function call for
each box in the SDL diagrams. That makes it very easy to debug the code
in the rare case that one has done something wrong ;-)

But for creation of new software where there is no SDL specification of
the protocols there is no real benefits of creating SDL before coding.
For that I think that Object Process Methodology (used lightly) and
Message Sequence Charts are better ways of structuring your high level
thoughts.

Cheers,
Torben