[erlang-questions] use only parts of a release

Pablo Platt pablo.platt@REDACTED
Fri Apr 22 13:25:25 CEST 2011

I've removed some of the apps because I didn't understand why the release includes apps such as mnesia and wx although I don't use them.
To prevent issues I'm including all the lib folder now.

init:get_argument(root) when running the generated release gives me {ok,[["/home/user/myserver/rel/myserver"]]}
after installing the deb package on the second machine I'm getting: {ok,[["/usr/local/lib/erlang"]]}

________________________________
From: Per Melin <per.melin@REDACTED>
To: Pablo Platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED>
Cc: erlang-questions <erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Sent: Friday, April 22, 2011 1:32 PM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] use only parts of a release

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Pablo Platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED> wrote:
> Is it possible to copy only parts of a release and use it on another machine
> with an erlang installation
> but still be able to use hot code upgrades?

Included in the release is a .boot-file. It loads all the modules in
the release and starts your applications. If you don't copy all the
modules I would assume the boot script will crash. Even if that
doesn't happen I can think of serveral problems you will have along
the way, like how to make a release update script (relup) for your
partial release.

> I'm able to install and run myapp but release_handler:which_releases() show
> the info of the default erlang runtime instead of my release.

release_handler reads the file releases/RELEASES.

See http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/release_handler.html#create_RELEASES-4

But I don't think you should see the default Erlang release either
way. Does init:get_argument(root) give your release directory or your
standard Erlang installation?