[erlang-questions] Erlang beginner questions

Mode7James James@REDACTED
Wed Apr 13 04:22:27 CEST 2011

I'm just learning Erlang, so please bear with me.  I've read Erlang & OTP in
Action, and am currently reading through Joe Armstrong's book right now.
That said, I am currently a Sr. Flash developer, so my background is still a
little fresh concerning programming concepts that I'm sure most of you are
already well-versed in.

I want to build a server for mobile & flash multiplayer games that utilizes
a secure TCP connection to authenticate people, but then opens a UDP port to
send/receive information.

I decided to post here because all I need is a little kick in the right
direction.  I figured my first goal would be to set up a simple server that
is able to send/receive from a very simple client, written in Objective-C.
This would allow the user to drag a ball around the screen, essentially
sending the coordinates of the user's input to the server, it checks with
the basic mechanics, and sends back so many frames per second the location
of an on-screen ball.

My goal is to incorporate simple physics, but I really want to start small
and get off on the right foot.  Would someone please walk me through doing
this the proper way, using OTP standards?  I want to make sure that I don't
create any bad habits, and so far I have understood the books I've read.
Reading and creating a fully working example is two completely different
things though.

Thanks so much in advance!