[erlang-questions] Minimal erlang kenel/compiler

Tiemen Meerman tiemen.meerman@REDACTED
Wed Sep 15 14:54:34 CEST 2010

Xavier,

I have just started a similar research project, although my aim was to
run Erlang *without* an underlying OS on the NetLogic XLR/XLP
processor. I have the feeling the questions to be answered are not
completely dissimilar to your project.

I think the main areas of interest are making sure the scheduler and I/
O runs happily (requires either thread support or poll+select
support). Any other implementation details depend on your
architecture: filesystem availability, how you want to segment your
multicore processor: 1 VM per chip, many VMs per chip, will a
networking stack be available, etc.

There are some other UNIX / Windows dependencies, but they are very
much localized.

-T

On 15 Sep 2010, at 13:26, Xavier Guérin wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I would like to be able to execute basic parallel erlang application
> on my home-made OS, designed for multicore embedded architectures. I
> tried to look around for minimal erlang configurations / embedded
> erlang / (put your own adjective here) erlang, without success. I
> also looked into the sources, and I could not get anything out of
> this investigation.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to configure such a minimal setting and how
> to port erlang to another OS ?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Xavier
>
> ----
> Xavier Guérin - Senior Research Engineer
> TIMA Laboratory, SLS Group
> 46, av. Félix Viallet, 38000 GRENOBLE, FR
> Mail : xavier.guerin@REDACTED
> Phone : +33(0)4 76 57 47 59
> Ad Astra Per Aspera
> Triste e' quel discepolo che non avanza il suo maestro
> Ubi patria, ibi bene

Tiemen Meerman
Deployment Team Leader
Phorm UK, Inc.