[erlang-questions] Mnesia/dets question - does this make sense?

Nicholas Frechette zeno490@REDACTED
Fri Sep 3 00:58:16 CEST 2010

Disc_only tables probably write to disk right away and probably don't buffer
so writes can be atomic.
I'm thinking your problem is more likely at the OS/HDD driver level. It is
possible your OS/HDD is caching the data in memory for short amounts of time
in order to speed up subsequent access to said data, once flushed you pay
the full price of accessing that section of the disk again (worse if the
disk had stopped spinning). For example, Windows 7 is actually quite good at
this, using all available memory that isn't being used by applications to
buffer IO (or something like that).

Just a wild guess though, you'll have to profile to understand what is
happening (perhaps at the kernel level to see how much time is spend
actually writing the data by the kernel VS time spent in erlang code).
2cents
Nicholas