[erlang-questions] Converting list of tagged tuples to a record

Evans, Matthew mevans@REDACTED
Thu Sep 2 20:56:39 CEST 2010

Using a preprocessor is another, perhaps more generic way of doing it.

%% The record

-record(person, {first_name, last_name, ...}).

%% Create a preprocessor

-define(PERSON_RECORD,record_info(fields, person)).

%% Function that will convert a list of tuples to the record

create_record_from_list([],_Data,Result) ->

    erlang:list_to_tuple(Result);

create_record_from_list([Field|Rest],Data,Result) ->

    case lists:keysearch(Field,1,Data) of

        {value,{_,Value}} ->

            create_record_from_list(Rest,Data,lists:append(Result,[Value]));

        _ ->

            create_record_from_list(Rest,Data,lists:append(Result,[undefined]))

    end.

Then to convert the list of tuples "DataList" to a record call:

Record = create_record_from_list(?PERSON_RECORD,DataList,[person]),

Or something like that :)

Matt