[erlang-questions] node.js compared to erlang

Tony Arcieri tony.arcieri@REDACTED
Wed Oct 6 19:58:09 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Pablo Platt <pablo.platt@REDACTED> wrote:

> In what areas erlang dominates and what areas will you consider using
> node.js?
> For example, would you consider building something like rabbitmq or
> ejabberd in
> node.js?

Node makes you write everything in a fully asynchronous, event-driven
manner, an upside down world of callbacks and inverted control. Erlang
provides abstractions like processes and messages which allow things to
appear synchronous when in fact they're fully asynchronous underneath.
Erlang processes will hang on to state for you, so you can process incoming
requests as a combination of the request and the current state, rather than
having to backtrack and figure out what state you're in from a centralized
I/O handler.

Node may be nice for smaller servers that handle more trivial I/O problems.
Erlang is better suited for building larger systems which are factored apart
into several different processes.

--
Tony Arcieri
Medioh! A Kudelski Brand