[erlang-questions] Erlang shows its slow face!

Anders Nygren anders.nygren@REDACTED
Tue Nov 16 16:23:10 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:
> Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>>
>> ... SNIP
>>
>> The time for p0 was 420 milliseconds in Erlang.
>> On the same machine, the same function, the time was
>> 91 milliseconds in SML/NJ.
>>            SML/NJ  MLton   Erlang
>> n=100 L= 34 s=0.004 m=0.004 e=0.020
>> n=200 L= 86 s=0.028 m=0.027 e=0.130
>> n=300 L=146 s=0.090 m=0.086 e=0.410
>> n=400 L=210 s=0.213 m=0.202 e=0.980
>> n=500 L=274 s=0.415 m=0.394 e=1.900
>>
>> We see that Erlang is about 5 times slower than SML.
>
> Is Erlang running native code here?
> (Because both SML/NJ and MLton are.)
>
>> Here's the SML code.
>>
>> ...  What's more, SML is
>> strongly typed, and the Dialyzer should be able to handle this,
>> so the compiler *knows* it is dealing with integers.
>
> Let's leave dialyzer out of this discussion -- it is a type analyzer
> alright, but the types it infers are not necessarily usable for optimization
> purposes (I can possibly elaborate in some other mail).
>
> Can you post p0 to see whether the compiler can infer whether the program
> deals with integers or not?
>

>> There are two basic issues here:
>> (1) The Erlang compiler doesn't really handle list comprehension as
>>    native loops; it compiles list comprehensions to recursive
>>    functions.  lists:seq(1, N) is not special syntax -- unlike Haskell --
>>    and almost surely builds an actual list.
>
> Yes.  This is an issue.  Actually, it's more general: in my experience most
> Erlang programmers do not understand the difference between list
> comprehensions and lists:foreach/2. Many of them find list comprehension
> notation so nice that they often use it in places where building the list is
> not only is not their intention but is completely unnecessary.
> The compiler is not sufficiently clever to perform deforestation and avoid
> construction of intermediate lists.

Maybe You are talking about some special case here that I missed but the
"Efficiency Guide" ch 5.2, in the documentation says
"In R12B, if the result of the list comprehension will obviously not
be used, a list will not be constructed."

/Anders