A tribute to Erlang/OTP

ErlangPriest erlangpriest@REDACTED
Sun Nov 14 23:03:24 CET 2010

Hi,

With the upcoming EUC 2010 and Thanksgiving lurking around the corner I felt
that it some sort of tribute/thanks to Erlang/OTP and the great team behind
it was long overdue, so I wrote a song that I would like to share with you
all.

It does not compile yet (i.e., the lyrics does not quite fit the tune), but
I hope that someone with greater artistic talents than me will run it
through dialyzer and QuickCheck to make everything correct ;-)

Happy EUC2010 and happy Thanksgiving!
The ErlangPriest

=============================
Deadlock free holiday
==============
Original title: Dreadlock Holiday
Original authors: Graham Keith Gouldman; Eric Michael Stewart
Adapted to Erlang/OTP by the ErlangPriest.

I was workin’ on the API, concentratin’ on codin’ right
I heard a dark voice beside of me
And I look ’round in a state of fright
I saw four faces, one mad; a dude from the management
They looked me up and down and turned to each other

I say, I don’t like Erlang, oh no, I love it
I don’t like Erlang, oh no, I love it.

Don’t you walk through my code
You got to show some insight
Don’t you walk though my code
Cause you ain’t an Erlanger yet

Well, he looked down on my silver bullet
He said: ’I’ll give you one dollar’
I said: ’You’ve got to be jokin’, man
It was a present from Ericsson’
He said: ’I like it, I want it, I’ll take it off your hands
And you’ll be sorry you crossed me
You better understand
That you’re alone (many nodes away from home)’.

And I say, I don’t like spawn, oh no, I love it
I don’t like spawn, oh no, I love it

Don’t you cramp me style, don’t you queer me pitch
Don’t you walk through my code
’Cause you ain’t an Erlanger yet

I hurried back to the Erlang prompt, passin’ atoms around
I heard a dark voice inside of me say
’Would you like something harder?’
She said: I’ve got it, you want it, my callbacks are the best
And if you try it
You’ll like it and whollow in deadlock free holiday.

And I say, don’t like OTP, oh no, I love her
Don’t like OTP, oh no, I love her, oh yeah

Don’t you walk through her code
You go to show some insight
Don’t you walk throug her code
’Cause you ain’t an Erlanger yet