[erlang-questions] New OTP app available at GitHub: riak_err

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Thu Nov 11 20:36:46 CET 2010

> I'd be really interested to know if there are any messages that are
> overlooked when measuring & truncating, e.g. a SASL message or
> something from the kernel or a user-generated message (using
> error_logger:info_msg() and friends).

You have to modify gen_server to make error-proof message logging:
https://github.com/erlyvideo/erlyvideo/blob/master/src/core/gen_server_ems.erl#L747

It is a pity, but current state of erlang error logging is error proof
only until large errors happen.
I don't know if my way of error limiting is ok for everyone:
https://github.com/erlyvideo/erlyvideo/blob/master/src/core/io_lib_pretty_limited.erl

or yours one is better, but I want OTP team to communicate about it.
gen_server:format_state is not enough because of dumping message queue
and error reason (it includes dumping state). Problem is larger and it
requires looking into all gen_ code and proc_lib infrastructure.

OTP is excelent software, but not ready for errors in large state
processes =(  I'm willing to help to fix it. Your patches are here, my
patches are here. RabbitMQ patches are available (they are so deep,
that R14 got even new instruction). Lets work out some best solution.