[erlang-questions] utf8 in source files

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Mon Nov 8 22:29:43 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 21:58, Allan Wegan <allanwegan@REDACTED> wrote:
>> So users from countries where Latin1 is useless but utf8 is not,
>> may use the latter instead without getting any problems.
>
> Just let them use UTF-8 at will. As long as they do not use any
> non-ASCII code points in language constructs except binary string
> literals, they should be on the safe side anyway.

I have no problem with that. Eclipse requires that a default encoding
has to be declared and users can override it. It works for me, but not
for everybody it seems (otherwise they would not want me to fix it).
>From what I saw, the usage is in regular literal strings and in
comments.

Some of the reports mean that some code (probably the lexical scanner)
can get confused, but I couldn't debug it to find out the cause. If a
full solution was relatively near at hand from OTP, then I could have
waited for it. Since it's not I will have to handle that somehow.

regards,
Vlad