[erlang-questions] Conceptual questions on key-value databases for RDBMs users

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Sun Nov 7 22:09:44 CET 2010

Hi,

Edmond, you talk about datastores that can peek inside the values
instead of regarding them as opaque binaries.
But are those datastores really kv-stores?
I would claim that, by definition, kv-stores can only do get, put,
delete and maybe some batch insertions and retrievals, but not more.
Couchdb and mnesia should probably not be named kv-stores, but rather
something more descriptive of their capabilities.

Also, no-sql is not the same as key-value.
Part of the problem is that no-sql is too loose and broad a category.

Morten.

inside th eI agree with your points about data stores that can look
inside the values