[erlang-questions] Conceptual questions on key-value databases for RDBMs users

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Sun Nov 7 18:16:43 CET 2010

Java's James Gosling seems to share your views...

"... I've never got it when it comes to SQL databases. It's like, why?
Just give me a hash table and a sh*tload of RAM and I'm happy. And then
you do something to deal with failures. And you look at the way things
like the NoSQL movement is. It's various flavors of large scale
distributed hash tables and trying to deal with massive scale and massive
replication, and you can't back up the database because no tape farm is
big enough. And you find scale and reliability can fit together at the
same time..."

http://www.basementcoders.com/transcripts/James_Gosling_Transcript.html

Funny, never thought two co-inventors of two different languages would
actually agree on something :)

The main reason I've switched to NoSQL (CouchDB) after many years of using
SQL-RDBMSs is for modeling hierarchical data. RDBMSs force you to do this
with relationships across different tables even when the data belongs to
the same domain/object -- this feels unnatural and results in the DB
equivalent of spaghetti code with hours staring at relationship diagrams.

Take the simple example of orders that have items. In a typical SQL-RDBMS,
this would normally be modeled using two tables related to each other in
1:many orders->items. A kv-store like Couch allows me to store this in a
more sane manner, just a bunch of orders, each with items embedded inside
them. But where kv-stores really shine is when your data has uneven levels
of hierarchy within the same types of objects. I've always struggled with
this in RDBMSs.

I think a big reason kv-stores are winning over a lot of us long-time
RDBMSs users is they allow us to model things-that-have-things-inside-them
in the database much closer to how they are modeled in our applications.
Orders/receipts/invoices with their items, users with their permissions,
all these map nicely in kv-stores from db to application. This allows us
to model relationships only when WE REALLY WANT RELATIONSHIPS (this
receipt belongs to that invoice). That fact alone won me over and I've
never looked back.

- Edmond -