Problems with distributed Erlang on Ubuntu (9.x and 10.x) because of avahi-daemon!

Boris Mühmer boris.muehmer@REDACTED
Sun Nov 7 07:41:03 CET 2010

I wanted to do some distributed Erlang tests on my systems at
home. I already had success doing some tests earlier this year,
but this time I couldn't get them working.

Only two of my four systems could net_adm/ping each other.

Than I realized, that the other two (not connecting) systems
were (almost) fresh Ubuntu 10.10 installations, where I didn't
remove/disable the avahi-daemon.

After just stopping the avahi-daemon all four systems could
successfully net_adm:ping each other again...

I can reproduce this behaviour on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10
systems with Erlang R13B4 and R14B, but I think I also
had this problem on Ubuntu 9.x systems.

Did anyone else experience this kind of behaviour?

  - boris