[erlang-questions] Extracting detailed information from TypEr/Dialyzer

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Wed Nov 3 10:35:13 CET 2010

Hi Edmond,

I am a bit confused by your statements since my problem was about
documentation of an _existing_ gen_fsm.
It might be my ignorance about what UBF can offer that is causing this (read
Joe's payer a while ago).

As I understand UBF it allows you to specify what a component does so that
others can interact with it in a sensible manner and you can figure out if a
given component implements a given contract - or am I missing the point
here?

I actually thought about using UBF, but when I looked at it it seemed a bit
to immature for a mission critical system, maybe that have changed by now.

Do not get me wrong, I firmly believe in specifying protocols and UBF seems
like a very interesting thing to use, but in a real life situation you
sometimes have code that you want to extract information about and this was
the problem I was faced with.

If I understand you right you are no longer using gen_fsm, right?
How do you piece together your software then?
I use the OTP supervisor structure all the time due to the obvious benefits
of a battle tested framework, but I would not mind adding another tool to my
tool box!!

Cheers,
Torben

http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann