[erlang-questions] Conceptual questions on key-value databases for RDBMs users

Edmond Begumisa ebegumisa@REDACTED
Wed Nov 3 09:30:49 CET 2010

> * Is there any guide, tutorial, book, whatever, that tries to introduce
>   NoSQL databases to SQL users?

The CouchDB book is very good for making the mental transition from SQL to
NoSQL in general..

http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/index.html

I think a lot of the data organisation concepts described therein are
transferable in principle to Mnesia (JSON --> Records, JavaScript -->
Erlang).

> * Key-value databases are surprising simple.  I know you solve
>   relationship by denormalizing data.  What data should be normalized?
>   What shouldn't?

Ahh, yes, the relationship question! There is no one-size fits all answer
to this. There are various NoSQL approaches to relationship modeling with
different levels of denormalisation and having different advantages and
disadvantages. You might find this article helpful...

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/EntityRelationship

Again. I believe in principle, the techniques described are transferable
and actively used by Mnesia developers (I'm not an Mnesia user myself.)

> How do you update denormalized data?

This normally involves a trade-off between having a separate record that
represents related data and updating that once, or completely
denormalising and updating all related records (see wiki link above.) I
usually only denormalise data for which I'm unlikely to need to update
several copies of.

For example, for a receipt, I'd have an embedded copy of a customer
record. When I update the customer record, I won't update related receipts
coz I don't DON'T want the receipts to be updated anyway since a receipt
should be an exact unmodified snapshot of history.

In contrast, for an order, I'd have a embedded only a reference to a
customer record, because if someone changes the customers address, I'd
want all related orders to reflect that without needing to map through and
change them (though for some other cases I might do just that.)4

It's very case-by-case. Other factors like replication and query
performance come in to play too. From my experience, it's something that
you kinda figure out as you go changing your mind here and there.

- Edmond -