[erlang-questions] Erlang arithmetics

Morten Krogh mk@REDACTED
Mon Nov 1 08:50:35 CET 2010

Richard,

my comment was for arithmetic on same type integers between 1 and 1000.
Clearly for bignums, the performance depends on the values.
By type I mean a fixed memory size and machine type. The OP was
generating random integers between 0 and 1000, so I would assume that
both js and erlang would run with the same speed inpedendently of
whether he multiplied 500 * 500, say, a million times or random1 *
random2 a million times.
There could be a difference in the accumulator however, when the
accumulator reached a critical size.

This statement is interesting.

The actual number of clocks depends on the position of the most
significant bit in the ... multiplier."

I tried testing on a C program that would multiply and sum (and subtract
to avoid overflow of the accumulator).
The type was int.
It runs with exact same speed whether it is 0 * 0 or 1000 * 1000.

I also tried float multiplication and couldn't see the slightest
difference between

0*0 and 1000000 * 1000000

in a loop of billions of iterations.

The test was on a intel core duo chip.

But I would be interested in seeing an example of such a difference. I
guess your link shows that such examples exist.

Cheers

Morten.