[erlang-questions] Re: Library management in erlang.

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Tue May 18 19:01:20 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Nicholas Frechette <zeno490@REDACTED> wrote:
> IMO, it is premature to talk about an erlang library management system when
> the risk of module name collision is so high. We'd have to require/enforce a
> package prefix in the form of 'packagename_' to all modules of a package.

Many (most?) packages already do this, so it's not really a problem.

> That is until erlang has an approved package/namespace system (the one
> currently implemented is experimental and discussed in another thread atm).

There's plenty other global resources you can run into that aren't
just module names, e.g. processes or applications. Picking a namespace
syntax doesn't fix that.

Also if you don't install packages system-wide, you're even less
likely to have a problem. You could use something like Basho's rebar
to manage application installs with dependencies.

-bob