[erlang-questions] Sets, ordsets, gb_sets, sofs. What is going on?

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sun Mar 28 17:25:14 CEST 2010

Robert Virding wrote:

> While ordsets is usually slower it does have one benefit in that it is
> easy to read when printed which is definitely not the case for any
> others. I often find that unless the set is big and the set operations
> critical then the difference in speed is less noticeable than you
> would expect.

I once wrote a prototype extension of the pretty-printing in the
shell, that allowed for custom formatting of 'ugly' data structures.

http://ulf.wiger.net/weblog/2007/11/20/extending-the-erlang-shell-part-1/

With lots of flattery and bribes, I could perhaps become motivated to
port it to the latest OTP*, or someone else could take it on; the code
is available.

BR,
Ulf W

* The issue is mainly time. This is on my list of things that would be
fun to do someday, but that list is pretty long...

--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com