[erlang-questions] Reading (and ignoring) escape-sequences

Hasan Alayli halayli@REDACTED
Fri Mar 26 17:11:35 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Mazen Harake
<mazen.harake@REDACTED> wrote:
> Well, I think you are wrong to be honest. It is probably more general
> purpose than you might think. I have seen Erlang being used from everything
> from telecom-systems to sorting and processing files on local disk.
>
> It is exactly this that is my point that it needs better support for these
> things if it is to become more general purpose.

I can see telecom-systems requiring fault tolerance, high availability
and the ability to handle concurrent operations. So Erlang feels
natural in this context because it solves such problems easier than
other languages.

Erlang wasn't designed to be used in the context you are using
although it is possible. But you will hit many walls and blame the
language, and that was my original point.

It is like when a programmer attempts to implement object oriented
patterns in Perl. It is possible, but it is not natural compared to
Java/Python/Smalltalk for example. The programmer has to go out of his
way to do that and this is when he should figure out that the language
was not designed for this purpose.

Just a thought.