[erlang-questions] Re: Supervisors as factories *and* registries

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Tue Mar 23 01:33:57 CET 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Up to this point, I've been leery of using ETS tables (feels like
> cheating, like using the process registry)

It's not quite the same, but you have to worry about side effects and
testability for solid software.  You can do the same thing using
gb_trees and a separate process.  The key is that the separate
process (or the ets table) have an externally visible way to access
it.  Since there's no state location or way to store it, you end up
using a global name.

I tend to avoid global names if possible because I want the option of
concurrency everywhere and global names make that hard.  But
sometimes you don't need it (there is a single supervisor in this
case after all), and you need to solve the problem at hand.  The ets
approach is clear, concise and conceptually easy to understand and
can be verified independently of the supervisor itself in a test
environment.

jay